I just made this today and it’s going to go into regular rotation. It was so good; salty, spicy, very hot. Mega satisfying and easy. I’ll be making it again very soon. Is the day after tomorrow too soon?
I should mention, a trip to the Korean food store is in order for some of these ingredients.
Korean kimchi tofu stew
Makes 2-3 servings approx time 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, medium dice
- 2.5 teaspoons Korean chile paste
- 1 medium zucchini diced
- 1 cup cabbage Kimchi chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable if making vegan version)
- 1 teaspoon tamari soy sauce
- 1 (14- to 16-ounce) package silken or soft tofu, drained
- 3 large eggs (omit for vegan)
- 3medium scallions, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- Steamed rice
In a large saucepan with tight fitting lid, saute onion in oil, approx 3-5 min. Stir in chile paste for 1 min, add kimchi and zucchini, stir another min or two. Add broth and soy sauce and bring to a boil. Carefully slice tofu, not breaking it up. Slide gently into broth and break eggs gently onto top of soup. Cover and gently boil until eggs firm up. Divide into bowl, making sure each bowl gets an egg, then top with scallions. Serve the rice on the side and scoop into soup a little bit at a time as you eat it. Tip- more rice, less broth will cut the heat.